Look, We know. You’ve probably just heard that you need to do an internship report in college, but have no clue as to how to get a good internship or maybe you’ve just finished your course and have a tough time finding a good opportunity. Well, fret not, we’ve prepared a list of some of the most important points to note if you are looking to find a good internship. Bear in mind that we’ve written this for the benefit of Indian students, but these tips are quite general and can apply to college students living in any part of the world as well. Here are some points to follow to obtain the best chances of getting an internship in India:
1.Identify the companies you want to work at the most: Setting a goal is always a good way to start, regardless of the task at hand. Identifying which companies you like the most will help to set a goal for yourself and allow you to take further steps when a company has been zeroed on by you. Moreover, identifying what career path you would like to choose is also essential in finding an internship and goes hand in hand with selecting a company to work with.
2.Personalised Resumes: According to a recent survey, 63% of hiring managers preferred a personalised resume as compared to a generalised one. So, spending some time on preparing your resume and making sure that it suits the job that you’re applying for will always give you a better chance at being hired. Customize your resume for every internship that you apply for by analysing the job description and tailoring the information you have provided on your resume to fit the job effectively. T
3.Look at online internship search engines: Companies are constantly posting job openings online and it would be foolish to not regularly check websites for such openings. Some of the best websites for internships in India include:
www.glassdoor.com (Great for finding out information about the company as well)
www.linkedin.com (Mainly for professional social networking, however opportunities about internships are commonplace on the site.)
www.angellist.com (Great to find new start-up companies to work at)
4. Be active on social media: Following your favourite companies and companies you want to work at on social media is a very good method of staying in touch with what’s happening in the company and whether they possess any job openings. Moreover, it’s also a good way to understand the work environment and culture of various companies as well.
5. Job Fairs: I genuinely thought these weren’t a thing anymore but turns out, Job Fairs are still a very common event that some companies hold to find new employees. An added benefit to attending these Job Fairs is that these events aren’t attended as much by prospective candidates, so in a way, it’s like having an unfair advantage but in a completely fair manner.
6. Networking: Meeting new people in the business world will also aid in your search for an internship. This includes sending emails out to companies and people, making contacts through everyday interactions, meeting people through social media among other things. Try and also ask amongst your friends whether there is someone in the Business world that you could connect with. LinkedIn is a good platform on which you can make such contacts easily and quite frequently as well.
7. Consult your local Career Counselor: Local career centres exist where companies call in to find out whether they know of any suitable candidates for jobs. Most of the time, career counsellors are also present in these career centres and they will help you in both identifying which career path you would like to take and will also tell you of any job openings they know of. Check online whether there is a career centre in your area and give it a shot. You won’t regret it.
8. Just Ask: Sometimes the best course of action to find a job is to just write to companies you like and ask whether they have an opening. Being adamant and ignoring ‘no’ for an answer will work in your favour; just keep in mind that I’m strictly speaking about jobs and this advice is DEFINITELY not good advice in every area of your life. By writing to as many companies as you can, you are also heightening your chances of one of these companies writing back and offering you a position.
9. Create a LinkedIn Profile: I’ve mentioned LinkedIn a couple of times in this article already but I must also stress the importance of making a LinkedIn profile as well as updating it frequently enough. It is a known fact that close to 80% of all companies check the LinkedIn profiles of prospective candidates and can even offer a job to them if a profile impresses them enough or catches their eye. So, making a profile on the site as well as updating it frequently enough will both boost your chances at finding an internship and will help in networking with various professionals in the business world. All of this will lead to stellar employment opportunities and will help in building your career.
Need some help with money for doing your favourite Course? Get the StuCred app here:StuCred App
Tag-How To Get An Internship In India, how to get an internship at google india, how to get internship in amazon india, how to get a good internship in india, how to get summer internship in india